Exhibition presented from October 15 to January 9, 2005
During the Italian Renaissance era, the Duke of Mantua, Vespasiano Gonzaga Colonna, founded the city of Sabbioneta in 1558, on a bank of the Po River. It was an attempt at creating a practical “ideal city” using the urban planning ideas of the Renaissance. By 1577, the city, with its perfectly ordered perpendicular streets and its main square, was completed – except for the Theater, which was finished in 1590 – and became the new headquarters of the Duchy.
The exhibition “Sabbioneta, an ideal city” displays photographs by Jean-Christophe Ballot, an architect and photographer. His prints show a city where what exists and what is only imagined blend and become one.
The exhibition was presented between October 15 and January 9, 2005